Wednesday 22 November 2006

Film: Women of the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

I saw this in 1988 when it was first released. It was my first exposure to Pedro Almodovar's films. I loved it. I saw most (if not all) of his earlier films in the next year or so...

Watching it nearly 20 years later, I could enjoy it all over again almost as if fresh. And the pleasure was augmented by the sheer joy of the audience around me, a communal experience - this was similar in all the Amodovar screenings at ACMI this weekend: a quality crowd pleaser.

Carmen Maura, in her last performance for Almodovar until this year (what happened there?) is the centre of this whirling, exhilerating film. A boyish, and very 80s, Antonio Banderas is geeky (and not gay, unlike his earlier Almodovar roles). The wonderfully fish-faced Rossy de Palma and the cheeky grandmother Chus Lamprieve (both regulars with the director) help move things along.

No comments: